Tuesday, May 12, 2009

How and Why we Pray

Good Evening. I hope the day went well. I have been going through this course called "The Alpha Course" by Nicky Gumbel. It has been very informative. This past week we talked about how and why we pray. Nicky brought up some good points the first being why you pray? Most Christians function in a realm of prayer. It becomes a way of life. They next question is who you talk to when you pray. Are you talking to God the Father, are you looking for God your friend, your counselor who are you praying to? Matthew 6:9 let us know that in Jesus’ example of prayer He prayed to the father. Does God always answer prayers and what can be barriers to prayer? How do you pray? How do you talk to God?

Well I looked at these things in my prayer life I do try to follow a certain model when I pray. I give God thanks or admiration, then I repent, then I tell God what I need if anything. Of course the easiest example would be Christ himself when He prays before His crucifixion. In Matthew 6:9-13 He outlines how to pray. Sometimes I talk to God reverently, sometimes like He is my friend. So I pose this question how do you pray?

Scriptures to Read
Matthew 6:9-13
Ephesians 2:18
Philippians 4:6-7
John 16:24
Matthew 7:7-11

2 comments:

  1. thats really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I pray to God my Father, sometimes to God my Friend. I always repent and then tell him what I need... and if I don't need anything then I ask him to provide for what those nearest and dearest to me needs.

    Sometimes when I'm home by myself, I talk to him like he's sitting on my couch shooting the breeze... I'm sure he cracks up at me when I do this. But IDC.

    ReplyDelete