Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Holy Spirit

This week I have really been learning a lot about the Holy Spirit and His purpose in our lives. Ezekiel 36:26-27 says, "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do [them]." When we are filled with the Holy Spirit we are compelled to obey God. Wither or not we do is up to us entirely.

I was talking to a friend of mine who said she knows she need to get back into church but there are things in her life that she just doesn't want to give up right now. It is the Holy Spirit that compels her desire to give up sin but her nature to refuse it. Often the Holy Spirit will ask of us something out of our comfort zone or out of our fleshly desire and we have to choose wither or not to take that stand.

Acts 1:8 states, "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth."

The Holy Spirit give us power it gives us the ability to have authority over the enemy. With this authority comes responsibility, we are to be witnesses. I must admit it has been a while since I've done street outreach, even my daily conversations need to improve. I find it very easy to talk to my friends I met at church and who I see almost everyday about the Holy Spirit but I rarely have conversations about the Holy Spirit when I talk to my friends from college.

1 Corinthians 2:9-12 says, "But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed [them] unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God."

What a blessing! The Holy Spirit guides us with direction from Christ. Through Him we know our purpose, through Him we can make wise decisions, through Him we can have what He has promised us it is freely given!

How do you get it? Well Luke 11:9-13 reads, "And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if [he ask] a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall [your] heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?" Just ask God for it and He will give it to you.

Acts 2:38 says, "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." Peter instructs the church to repent, turn away from sin, be baptized which is symbolic of giving new birth dying to the world and being reborn in Christ Jesus and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. So seek God be readily available to the things He has for you and watch as He transforms your life. Be blessed.

1 comment:

  1. Romans 12:2
    Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is–his good, pleasing and perfect will.

    When you have the Holy Spirit your transformation will not be a burden but it will become a joy to give up the things of this world, I myself am not fully transformed but I thirst for the Holy Spirits transformation in my life. The way I see it we all have hard times but your foundation is what determines how much of negative effect those times have in our life, and there is no greater foundation than one cemented in God.

    ReplyDelete